- If it plays music – write it down.
- If it plays games – write it down.
- If it can download and run “apps”, write it down.
- If it connects to the internet, write it down.
- If it allows you to text, write it down.
- If it allows you to stream videos, music, movies, write it down.
- If it allows you to make a document and put it “in the cloud”, write it down.
- If it allows you to download photos, up load photos, write it down.
- If it allows you to “share” anything or post anything on a social media site, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, write it down.
I’m sure I’ve left something out – and if so, be sure to let me know!
The goal of this task is to create an inventory of what you have that’s digital in your home so you can learn from each other how to use the stuff and to help keep each other safe. This is one of those great tasks where you will likely find your kids showing you the nuts and bolts of how to use something but then you get to show your kids how to use that something just a tad more safely because you understand the issues of privacy settings that they don’t quite get.
So, make it fun – a challenge. Then, use the opportunity to have some fun showing each other how the stuff works. This will be one digital 101 class that everyone will benefit from!